Household Hazardous Waste Door to Door Collection Services!
Begins May 3, 2021
Properly Dispose of Your Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) with convenient door to door collection service.
The City of San Ramon has partnered with Clean Harbors to create a convenient door to door HHW collection program for residents.
Make an appointment to have your Household Hazardous Waste collected from your doorstep!
- CALL: 1 (800) 433 5060
- WEBSITE: https://cleanharbors.formstack.com
After you make an appointment (see above), you will be sent a containment/collection kit.
The kit includes:
- an instruction sheet
- heavy gauge plastic containment/collection bag Only the provided bag can be used-no other bags accepted.
- tie for bag
- labels for unmarked or unreadable containers.
PLEASE NOTE: THE MAXIMUM SIZE CONTAINER COLLECTED THROUGH THIS PROGRAM IS 5 GALLONS.
DON’T WANT TO WAIT WITH LEFTOVER PAINT?
Did you know? Many paint retailers will take back your leftover paint at no charge! Visit PaintCare.org to find the nearest, most convenient paint drop-off site to you.
- All PaintCare sites accept up to 5 gallons per visit (some take more).
- Please call ahead to confirm business hours and ask if they can accept the type and amount of paint you would like to recycle.
- Sites do not accept aerosols (spray paint), leaking, unlabeled, or empty containers.
CONTAINMENT/COLLECTION TIPS AND INSTRUCTIONS:
- The bag needs to be ready for pick up by 6 am on your appointment day. Place the bag in an area visible to the driver, but not at the curb. The top of your driveway and close to the house is a perfect location.
PRO TIP: Place the empty bag at your chosen collection location. Bring each item you want to dispose of to the bag and place inside. This will help keep the bag free from any potential rips or perforations.
- Use the bag tie (included) to completely close the bag. Open bags or partially closed bags will not be collected.
HOW TO PROPERLY PREPARE ITEMS FOR COLLECTION:
- Only one type of item is allowed per bag. (Example: do not mix toxic cleaners with gasoline, etc.) Please request additional bags for additional types of HHW waste disposal. Review the sample list of acceptable materials on the other side.
- Verify that each item is identifiable or use the labels in the kit to clearly identify the item.
PRO TIP: Keep the item in its original container whenever possible (label if needed). Items that are not identified will not be collected.
- Make sure the container is completely sealed and not leaking. If needed, you can reinforce the container with duct tape or put a leaking container in a sealed zipper style bag. If an item spills onto other items, dangerous chemical reactions can occur, and the driver cannot collect the item(s).
PRO TIP: Use a box or bag inside the large containment bag to keep items vertical and to avoid a spill.
SAFETY FIRST! IF A SPILL OCCURS:
- If your waste spills, remove it (if you can), place in a new container, and secure in a zipper-style bag. Safely remove as much spillage from the large containment/collection bag as possible, place in a separate zipper-style bag, and label what material is in the bag.
- Call customer service at 1 (800) 433-5060 for an additional bag and a new appointment. When your new bag arrives, place the contained old bag it in with the other properly sealed HHW items for collection.
EXAMPLES OF ACCEPTED MATERIALS:
(List subject to change. Always verify with Clean Harbors if the material you have is accepted in the door to door HHW collection program.)
- Paints: oil-based, latex: Many paint retailers will take back your leftover paint at no changed! Visit PaintCare.org to find the nearest, most convenient paint drop-of site to you.
- Flammables: paint related materials (varnish, urethane, paint thinners, sealants); gasoline; solvents; acetone; xylene; waxes; automotive cleaners/polishes; resins; roofing cement
- Household Cleaners: Bleach, detergents, disinfectants, vinegar, drain cleaners
- Pool and Spa Chemicals
- Beauty Products: aerosols, nail polish, hair dye/color
- Batteries: Lead acid, lithium, Ni-Cd, Ni-Mh, Alkaline
- Lights and Lightbulbs: fluorescents, HID, LED
- Automotive Products: motor oil, grease, lubricants, oil filters, antifreeze
- Poisons: pesticides, fungicides, fertilizers, pest deterrents
- Electronic Wastes (E-waste): CRT monitors/TVs, Flat-screen monitors/TVs, Misc. Electronics, Computers
- Smoke Detectors
- Thermometers and Thermostats
- Sharps: Syringes, Needles, and Lancets (must be in rigid containers with lid)
- Cylinders: Propane and Helium cylinders (up to five (5) gallons)
THE FOLLOWING ITEMS ARE NOT ACCEPTED:
- Elemental Mercury
- Medicine and Medications
- Radioactive Material
- Compressed Gas Cylinders
- Household Garbage, Recyclables, or Organics
- Ammunition, explosives, or fireworks
- Containers larger than 5 gallons
- Large appliances (refrigerators, microwaves, stoves, AC units, etc.)
- Non-hazardous household items (large tools, ceiling fans, bulky items, etc.)
ACI OF SAN RAMON BULKY ITEM/REUSE PROGRAM
Residents of ACI of San Ramon are entitled to three scheduled Clean Up Days during each calendar year. Items such as large appliances, bulky items, furniture, household goods, and e-waste are accepted. Click here for more information.
CONTACT CLEAN HARBORS:
phone: 1 (800) 433-5060
To view this information in another language, please use the translate feature in the upper left corner.