Make sure everything you put into the Blue Recyclables cart/bin is recyclable. Non-recyclable materials cause contamination, can damage sorting machinery, and result in recyclables in the landfill.
LOOSE PIECES OF SHRINK WRAP/PLASTIC FILM/BAGS = GARBAGE
PLEASE NOTE: BAG-IN-BAG PROGRAM
Bagged plastic bags & film can go in the Recyclables cart.
- Place multiple bags/film plastic into one bag & tie off
- No loose bags/film allowed
- Keep all other non-film plastic items loose
CEREAL BAGS/LINERS = GARBAGE
Try buying cereal in bulk to avoid excessive packaging.
ONLINE RETAILER SHIPPING BAGS = GARBAGE
Reuse when possible!
SNACK PACKAGING/WRAPPERS = GARBAGE
STYROFOAM® = GARBAGE
Contain multiple pieces in a single bag for collection. Avoid products with excessive and/or non-recyclable packaging.
BUBBLE WRAP = GARBAGE
Reuse whenever possible or choose environmentally friendly packaging options.
PET WASTE= GARBAGE
PERSONAL HYGIENE ITEMS/DIAPERS = GARBAGE
PLASTIC PLATES/CUPS/UTENSILS = GARBAGE
Provide reusable options. Keep reusable cutlery with you to use when needed.
CDS/DVDS/VHS TAPES = GARBAGE
If undamaged, try donating to a resale shop or charity before disposing.
DISHES, DRINKING GLASSES, MIRROR & WINDOW GLASS = GARBAGE
FOOD-SOILED PAPER PLATES, NAPKINS, TOWELS & CUPS = ORGANICS
Proper Sorting Makes a Difference!
The most efficient sorting starts with you. We thank you for all of your efforts.
SAY “NO” TO CONTAMINANTS! Garbage and Organics DO NOT belong in
the blue recyclables bin/cart.
MAINTAIN A CLEAN STREAM! Make sure recyclable plastic, metal and glass
food containers are empty and clean before placing them in the blue
KEEP AN EYE ON SIZE! Corrugated cardboard and paper boxes should be
flattened and large pieces cut to 2’ x 3’ or smaller. This creates more room in
the recycling bin/cart, prevents litter and keeps materials from getting stuck
in carts and blocking the hopper of the collection vehicles.
Reduce, Reuse and Repair Before You Recycle!
Small changes in your purchasing habits and daily routine can make a big impact in reducing waste!
REPAIR INSTEAD OF PURCHASE
- Before you replace an item, see if it can be repaired.
- If you do purchase something new, find the highest quality/longest lasting and most durable option possible.
OPT FOR USED PRODUCTS
- Reuse what you already have.
- Purchase a “gently used” item from a consignment or resale/thrift shop.
- Browse resale/donation websites.
- Share/trade items with friends and neighbors.
- Shop with reusable bags and totes (remember to wash your reusable bags occasionally)
- Bring your travel mug to the coffee shop.
- Carry a reusable water bottle with you.
PURCHASE PRODUCTS WITH MINIMAL PACKAGING
- Choose items with sustainable, reusable and recyclable packaging.
- Avoid single-serve and single-use items.
Reduce Paper Waste by Stopping Unwanted Mail.
- Remove your address from direct mail registries at: www.directmail.com/mail_preference/.
- Discontinue unwanted catalogs at: www.CatalogChoice.org.
- Prevent automatic phonebook deliveries at: www.YellowPagesOptOut.com.
Remember to: REDUCE, REUSE, ROT & RECYCLE!