Recycling and Waste Reduction Guidelines for Specific Industry Types
MANUFACTURERS – INCREASE RECYCLING AND REDUCE WASTE!
MAINTAIN A GREEN MANUFACTURING PROCESS:
- Reduce the amount of excess raw materials kept in stock.
- Order only the amount of materials needed for a specific amount of time.
- Manufacture products with minimal packaging, have the highest recycled content and are recyclable. (See “Recycling Market Development Zone” below)
- Design and use products and processes that minimize the amount of hazardous substances used.
THE RECYCLING MARKET DEVELOPMENT ZONE (RMDZ) PROGRAM:
The Recycling Market Development Zone (RMDZ) program combines recycling with economic development to fuel new businesses, expand existing ones, create jobs, and divert waste from landfills.
This program provides:
- Attractive loans.
- Technical assistance.
- Free product marketing.
- Qualifying businesses must use materials from the waste stream to manufacture their products and be located in a zone. Local incentives vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Please visit: www.calrecycle.ca.gov/RMDZ/ for more information on the program, zone locations and how to qualify.
DO YOU MANUFACTURE A PRODUCT IN CALIFORNIA?
CA Made is a state labeling program designed to encourage consumer product awareness and to promote the purchase of products manufactured in California.
Approved products receive:
- A license to use the CA Made label.
- Marketing benefits.
- Access to services from program partners.
- To learn how to qualify and join the program, please visit http://camade.ca.gov.
REDUCE PACKAGING MATERIALS:
- Design the product packaging to use the minimum amount of materials.
- Use reusable or recyclable packing content.
INCREASE EFFICIENCY TO REDUCE WASTE:
- Establish a preventative maintenance schedule to keep equipment in good working order.
- Make sure your warehouse is organized and well-marked. Track the locations of inventory, tools, supplies and assets.
- Use digital marketing (online catalogs, email newsletters, mobile marketing) and a paperless inventory tracking system to reduce paper waste.
MAKE THE MOST OF YOUR COLLECTION PROGRAM:
- Work with your landlord and/or neighboring tenants to choose the right-sized containers and maintain clean and efficient collection area(s).
- Make the most of our recyclables and organics programs to reduce disposal costs. Contact us for assistance.
KEEP THE RECYCLING STREAM CLEAN!
Garbage and Organics DO NOT belong in the blue recyclables bin/cart. Make sure recyclable plastic, metal and glass food containers are empty and clean before placing them in the blue recyclables bin/cart.
Non-recyclable materials cause contamination, can damage sorting machinery, and result in recyclables in the landfill.
PLEASE NOTE: LOOSE FILM PLASTIC, FOAM BLOCKS AND WOODEN PALLETS DO NOT BELONG IN THE RECYCLABLES!
Click here for a complete list of what belongs in the blue recyclables cart and/or bin.
Click here for a downloadable/printable version of ACI SR Recycling and Waste Reduction Guidelines for Retail Establishments.