Recycling & Waste Reduction Guidelines for Specific Industry Types
FOOD-SERVICE ESTABLISHMENTS – INCREASE RECYCLING AND REDUCE WASTE!
ADOPT GREEN PURCHASING PRACTICES:
- Buy from local vendors.
- Transport products via ground instead of air.
- Choose products with minimal packaging, have the highest recycled content and are recyclable.
REUSE TO REDUCE WASTE:
- Invest in reusable napkins and tablecloths.
- Laminate menus or reuse paper menus as many times as possible.
AVOID FOOD WASTE:
- Give edible leftovers to employees or donate to a charity or food bank. (You won’t be sued. See “Did You Know?” below) Click here for a list of organizations that accept food donations.
- Use perishable produce quickly.
- Track inventory to prevent over-ordering and spoilage.
- Store all food properly. (Below 40 degrees Fahrenheit for refrigerators and 0 degrees Fahrenheit for freezers)
- Keep your storage equipment in good working order. Prepare for power loss by having a back-up power plan.
DID YOU KNOW? YOU WON’T BE SUED FOR DONATING LEFTOVER FOOD.
The Bill Emerson Good Samaritan Food Donation Act passed in 1996 protects restaurants from civil and criminal liability should a recipient get ill or hurt as a result of consumed donated food. Donors are only culpable in cases of gross negligence or intentional misconduct.
SAY NO TO FOOD-PACKAGING WASTE:
- Offer recyclable or reusable take out containers.
- Avoid offering single-serve/single-use items. (See “Rethink Disposable Technical Assistance Program” below)
THE RETHINK DISPOSABLE TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE PROGRAM:
Prevent waste before it starts! By reducing single use disposable packaging, your food service business can:
- Conserve resources.
- Prevent waste.
- Reduce ocean pollution.
- Increase operational efficiency.
- Improve customer satisfaction.
- Save money.
- For more program information and materials, visit: www.rethinkdisposable.org/businesses.
USE THE GREEN ORGANICS BIN AND/OR CART:
- Composting reduces food waste that would end up in landfills and creates nutrient-rich soil to grow more organic products.
KEEP THE RECYCLING STREAM CLEAN!
Garbage and Organics DO NOT belong in the blue recyclables bin/cart. Make sure recyclable plastic, metal and glass food containers are empty and clean before placing them in the blue recyclables bin/cart.
Non-recyclable materials cause contamination, can damage sorting machinery, and result in recyclables in the landfill.
PLEASE NOTE: FILM PLASTIC/SHRINK WRAP, WAXED CARDBOARD AND WOODEN PALLETS DO NOT BELONG IN THE RECYCLABLES!
Click here for a complete list of what belongs in the blue recyclables cart and/or bin.
Click here for a downloadable/printable version of ACI SR Recycling and Waste Reduction Guidelines for Retail Establishments.